Hunting on a budget
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

shotgun shells

3 posters

Go down

shotgun shells Empty shotgun shells

Post by pilsbury38 Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:04 am

I have never reloaded any shells before, that said i have a few questions. 1 how expensive is it to get into if you just want to reload shotgun shells. 2 do you save any money doing it as compared to just buying shells. 3 is reloading gear as hard to get right now as getting shells. ( not that i have a problem getting shotgun shells yet) and 4 do you have to be a rocket scientist to do it? Thanks in advance for the info Very Happy
pilsbury38
pilsbury38
newbe
newbe

Back to top Go down

shotgun shells Empty Re: shotgun shells

Post by pilsbury38 Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:06 am

One more, can you reload slugs or buckshot? Thanks again
pilsbury38
pilsbury38
newbe
newbe

Back to top Go down

Post by corey Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:51 am

lee and mec make all in one loaders. check grafs on the hulls I see they have 12 and 20ga hull in stock. 209primers and powders are the other question. most shotgun powders can double as pistol powders.

209primers. I only can find muzzleloader primers.
contact carlos on frontier muzzleloadering. he maybe able to help you with that.

btw, I never reloaded shot guns either. just a month of researching and looking at everything
corey
corey
Admin
Admin

https://huntingonabudget.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by pilsbury38 Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:06 am

Thanks corey, I'm gonna do some research
pilsbury38
pilsbury38
newbe
newbe

Back to top Go down

Post by corey Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:57 pm

right now everyone needs to help every one out.

thought about ya and your reloading quest. some one shot up a ton of ppu 12 ga rounds. they where setting all over the place lol
corey
corey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Reinz Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:51 am

Loading Shotgun is NOT is rocket science. I think it is the easiest of all loading diciplines. In fact I learned on my own at 14 with a Mec 600 Jr. And still use it 40+yrs later. Just can't wear it out it if you treat it right.

You can get hulls free at any skeet/trap range in the trash can. Talk to some of the shooters. Find out who sells components on the side. Those guys usuallys sell components for 20-25% off.

The big kicker is the cost of lead shot. That is where most of your money is tied up in. And the best way to save money is find lsome quality reclaimed shot. Again your trap/skeet shooters will know all about it.

To answer your big question- I load my own custom shells for 1/2 price.

And yes you can load Slugs and buckshot too. But to make it worth while you really need to cast those yourself to save money.

Hope this helps
Reinz
Reinz
newbe
newbe

Back to top Go down

Post by pilsbury38 Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:36 am

Reinz, all input is appreciated and helps. Another thing i been thinking about is with it being hard to find ammo right now is that happening with reloading supplies? Such as powder, shot, primers........ this world is really screwed up right now and i for one dont see it gettin any better real soon. Thanks again
pilsbury38
pilsbury38
newbe
newbe

Back to top Go down

Post by Reinz Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:06 pm

Pillsbury- I know that some reloading supplies are getting hard to find and/or more expensive for metallic loading. I'm not quite so sure if this is the case for shotgun. At least not yet maybe. Anyway, it would be would be worth getting into regardless.

You can start your search now. No one can force you to buy now if the prices are not right for you. If you are not quite ready, at least start collecting hulls now. You will be glad you did later.

Good Luck
Reinz
Reinz
newbe
newbe

Back to top Go down

Post by corey Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:16 pm

here is a small idea for buck shot and slugs, lee makes a buckshot mold and a 1oz slug mold. for the lead, check with you local indoor shooting range. they may be willing to sell you some bullet cleaned out of there back stops. local outdoor shooting range, if it is like the one I goto. you can can go and mine the brems (backstops). even try the zinc in those but will not expanded. any smaller shot, your own your own on that idea, the shot makers are pricey.

Warning about casting thou, it is addictive. geek
corey
corey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down